Thursday, October 6, 2011

I am...

Amongst ppl who know and love me I am the "Mami". While the nickname stuck because of my innate nature to be the adult amongst the group of 20 something “adolescents” who I often am forced to "mother” it may also be because I am someone who staunchly believes in Hinduism and openly declares that I am not a secular person. That does not mean I go around building up a Hindutva movement, or declaring other religions are evil.

When discussing other beliefs and practices, I do it with respect. I never put down another’s beliefs, as wrong as I may find it is. At least not in front of them. When I have children I would make sure they understand the similarities and the differences of different religions without getting into big discussions.

As long as I learn to respect the feelings of others and dignify them with their right to follow whatever they believe in, why should I project myself as someone who is tolerant of everything everyone does? I am proud to call myself a Hindu, a part of a way of life which wholeheartedly accepted other religions to co-exist, a concept of which is embraced by every sixth person in the world.


My religion does not condemn you to hell for every wrong doing you do. It does not indicate that one cannot escape hell by being good; as everybody is bad. It does not promote the idea that no matter how hard you strive to live a virtuous life, if you lack certain beliefs, you go to hell like certain other religions do.

For something to be eternal it must have always existed, and must continue to exist in the future. Any religion that has a founder cannot claim to have always existed. There was no Christianity before Jesus and no Islam before Muhammad. Sikhism did not exist before Guru Nanak, nor Confucianism before Confucius.

I have been thinking about fundamentalists’ claims that everyone apart from “true followers of the religion” will go to hell and be eternally tortured. They often try to reconcile this with a good, merciful and loving God by saying “it is written, it is the Law, and God cannot disobey the Law”. Unlike these religions Hinduism does not have a definitive book. There are the Vedas of course, but these are more works of praise to God than Law or rules, and these are supplemented by agamas from each school. It seems to me that if God writes a definitive book that he must follow from that point until eternity then this is limiting his omnipotence. Metaphorically speaking God has created a rock so heavy that he can’t lift it.


I’ve seen people claiming to be atheists, people who are highly skeptical about anything supernatural. My issue with this line of thought is if one has no religious account of how the world functions as a cohesive unit, how is it even remotely possible to satisfy one's need for depth, engagement and serenity in life? As for agnostics I don’t get their philosophy. Seems like the biggest cop out in life. Scientifically speaking they may argue that it’s pretty darn difficult for the "supreme being" to listen to every one of our problems and answer all our prayers. If proof is what you require why don’t you look around you or within you? I am a science person myself. The way a simple cell in your body operates maybe a result of evolution, but most processes require external moderation, a power which ensures that the process proceeds smoothly. To propose the idea that human beings are smart enough to know the workings of the entire universe seems like a huge leap. Just because one cannot understand God does not necessarily mean he isn’t there.

Through the years people try to destroy my faith by promoting our beliefs to be superstitious and non secular. The recent debate on why certain temples ban women from entering their premises is a case in point. Do you question why women are not allowed EVER into mosques? Muslims are allowed to by law practice their prayers in their workplace but we cannot celebrate the time honoured ayutha pooja?


I don’t celebrate Christmas, and I don’t intend to start once I have kids just because I want them to be secular. I’d rather celebrate navarathri and deepavali . If that is being non secular then I don’t really care. It is just ironic that the country adopts the concept that being secular is actually being "anti Hindu", while truly putting down the most accepting faith in the world.

7 comments:

  1. harsha6/10/11

    Well arts its not as simple as you articulate. I find a lot of things in our religion that makes no sense. Why should i do santhiyavanthanum? I mean if i dont do it three times a day, isnt there the clause that says i dont get god's good grace? this is just one question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one forces you do to santhiyavanthanam.. its a personal choice. I do it because it fulfils me, hinduism does not say if you dont do this you will suffer this consequence. That is the beauty of our religion. Please dont confuse the rituals ppl enforce with the religion. As our mami says its a way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. swathi6/10/11

    arts.. whats wrong with christmas? its a fun holiday. Here we celebrate it we have no choice. My son would ask me why all the other kids get presents while he doesn't. Its just another way of celebrating. As long its aimed at being one with God it shouldnt matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. harsha7/10/11

    @rahul the society forces us. Whether i like it or not i need to know abhivathaye. I believe in God i pray every day. But why bring the concept of religion into it? God is god. How does it matter what he/she is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small rituals are just guidelines to get you closer to God. Its not easy following them I agree. It helps to discipline yourself. For example, abhivathaye is just an introduction of yourself. Nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. guys you need to check this out.

    http://hawkeyeview.blogspot.com

    The blog titled.. narrative. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi de.. its jus that Hinduism is very old and ppl have added bits and pieces to it, which means that apart from the old traditions, there might be little superstitions added.

    @harsha the one defect is, they did not explain as to y v have to do certain things (like santhiyavanthanam :) ).. but its sure that they have known all the goodness of each and every activity that has been passed down..

    ReplyDelete