Saturday, May 16, 2009

Poo, Kolams and Mamas..

When i told my grandma that i would come for a visit to tirunelveli with her i was sure that the time i am here i would be bored to death. Suprisingly i find that im quite content here. I find myself appreciating small towns.The amount of one on one interaction is amazing, everyone seems to know everyone else's business.

So every morning at 5.30 when im up to put kolam (Ya suddenly ive become the pakka iyer athu ponnu :P) im accosted by atleast one mami or mama.The same kolam which i put in maybe two mins here at home takes atleast 15 mins to get done in tvl :).The conversation always goes the same way..

mama: ne sowndharam ponnu thane..
me: ama
mama: enaku unga amma chinna vayasu lenthu theriyum... unga appavayum nanna theriyum ( then follows a long story abt how they know our family..)
mam: ne enna panra ippo? unaku thambi undu ella?
me: nan Msc mudichiruken.. (get interrupted)
mama: ama shankar enna panran ippo? un perimma pasanga bombayla thane erukanga..(asks questions about almost every cousin or second cousin i know or dont know...)


i took my grandma to cast her vote. She forgot her glasses hence couldnt see the symbols properly on the voting machine. The electoral officer there says " madam neenga ungapaatikita ketu podungalen" .. im like "er...isnt tat lik wrong".. the dude says its okay.. Ethe in chennai he would probably be saying "seekirama votea potutu move panu perisu"

And then there are those really annoyingly chirpy mamis that i meet in the temple everyday.. even if i forget to keep Poo one day they'll make sure to get some and place it on my hair ... :)

Then there are the older thathas who accost you with a I-know-it-all expression and look sadly at you and say with a straight face..
"Biotechnology is useless.Nee IT panirkanom. So evlo pannum onakku kadaikum?"
When I mumbled some number,He looked at me wildly.
"Do you realize you are going to be poor? How are you going to live on a salary like that?"
I felt bad on adding an extra zero. I silently thanked aryabhatta. :P

Here is the picture of the kolam i put.. i also found the basket i made which i gave it to my grandma so took a pic of tat too :)








I made the whole basket by myself :) true story !!

7 comments:

  1. come on i don't believe this ! u put kolams?? made a basket?? Who are u and what have you done with rt:P

    So enjoyed the tripi presume :)... where is my alwa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all kudos on the kolam! and the basket did you really make it? hard to believe.

    and ne pakka iyer athu ponna? etho seasonal kudambapanga erunthutu vanthuta :) trustme arts ull get tired of it soon enough! You my friend need the city

    ReplyDelete
  3. did u really put the kolam?? OMG arts wtf happened to you.. and poo no not u too. unayum side mathitangala. please dont tell my mom. she will start after me too. i remember the basket though. You made mine too ella?he he..

    ReplyDelete
  4. aiyoo nambidatheenga.paka than romba samathu ulla oru singame thoonguthu ella.

    and btw poi sollatha neeya potta kolam? road la vera etho oru mami potatha photo eduthuta thane?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello we are not the lying or the pretending category. Tat is totally you ashok

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was kidding! oh and deeps this is not a pvt convo write comments pertaining to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. er.. guys stop fighting! ashok ya i made the kolam myself.. n deeps don say such things on a blog

    ReplyDelete